Styckx Theatre Playground – Community Workshops
Keen to make a Playground in a Bamboo Theatre? Come and be part of Styckx Theatre and the development of three new Playground performances, based on Time, Space and Gravity (essential elements of a good Playground design).
The 3-D axis of this compass, X Y Z combine,
Meas’ring Time and Space and Gravity.
All essential elements, to a playgrounds good design
Where actions driving function is the key.
Excerpt from Styckx Theatre Playground Poem 2009
Workshops include bamboo construction skills, roped dance and movement on the bamboo, imagery and invention devising, bamboo instruments and music. Some rope dance and invention workshops have age specification of 15+
To book your place in a workshop, visit THIS LINK
Location: Workshops will be held at
Natimuk Primary School Oval
Enter via corner Jory St and Mitchell St, Natimuk
All Workshops come under 3 categories
- Skills and Invention: Learn new skills and experiment with new ideas
- Devising and Rehearsal: Putting the ideas into performance making
- Production and Performance: Rehearsal with light/sound. Performing at Frinj.
Workshop advisories: Booking into a series is recommended
Waiting lists apply so don’t be deterred- you will be contacted.
Special access requirements? Let’s chat!
Skills and Invention
Bamboo Skills workshop: Learn traditional Asian bamboo stick tie method using contemporary materials then build a tripod structure.
- Sunday 8 September 4:30 – 6:00 PM
- Friday 13 September 4:30 – 6:00 PM
The Build: Volunteer a day here and there to be a part of the build process. By application only and need to be available for tool box induction 9am on which every days you enrol. Sunday 15-Sat 21 September 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM daily
Musical Bamboo: Working closely with Composer Russell Goldsmith, become part of the team that create the pre- recorded musical score for the 3 works. Live performance opportunities may evolve from this if the will is there!
- Tuesday 24 September 5:30 – 7:30 PM
- Wednesday 16 October 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Rope/Dance/Structure Workshop: Develop the skills and experiment with moving through, on and around the structure. Create imagery though dance and climbing.
- Thursday 26 September 2:00 – 5:00 PM
- Friday 27 September 2:00 – 5:00 PM
- Sunday 29 September 2:00 – 5:00 PM
Playground Invention Workshop: What does a playground made of Bamboo invite us to create? Interact with the structure, rigging and sense of possibility to devise imagery that create playgrounds around Time, Space and Gravity.
- Monday 30 September 1:30 – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday 1 October 1:30- 5:00 PM
- Wednesday 2 October 1:30 – 5:00 PM
- Thursday 3 October 1:30 – 5:00 PM
Bamboo Antics from the Ground: Together we play with bamboo and devise images that are ground based explorations of Time Space or Gravity. These feed into the weekend workshops.
- Saturday 28 September 2:00 – 4:00 PM
- Friday 11 October 4:30 – 6.30 PM
- Friday 18 October 4:30 – 6.30 PM
- Friday 25 October 4:30 – 6.30 PM
Playtime for Gymnasts and Circus: For those gymnasts or circus performers, a special devising session that pushes your skills and devising opportunities that little bit further.
- Thursday 10 October 4:30 – 6.30 PM
- Thursday 17 October 4:30 – 6.30 PM
- Thursday 24 October 4:30- 6.30 PM
Devising and Rehearsal
Playground Performance – Time: The Playground’s Horizontal “X” Axis: A movement study of being in the moment – Now or Then.
- Saturday 5 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Saturday 12 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Saturday 19 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Saturday 26 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Now a playground that is worth its weight
has qualities steadfast…
where a simple moment has emancipation
from on-coming future’s ‘then’,
Before that ‘then’ has is past.
It must capture an elusive ‘now’s’ vibration.
Playground Performance – Space: The Playground’s Sagittal “Z” Axis; A spatial study of getting from Here to There via swing or monkey bar!
- Sunday 6 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Sunday 13 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Sunday 20 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Sunday 27 October 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
…and thus a strange hypothesis,
has been formulated
to frame the spatial nature of the query,
of where the swings and monkey bars
should be articulated
Through an interesting construction called “Swing Theory”.
Playground Performance – Gravity The Playgrounds’ Vertical “Y” Axis: A life study on one’s Ups and Downs …Slides, SeeSaws, etc…
- Sunday 6 October 2:30 – 5:30PM
- Sunday 13 October 2:30 -5:30 PM
- Sunday 20 October 2:30 -5:30 PM
- Sunday 27 October 2:30 -5:30 PM
Now every playground has a thing that takes one up and down.
An analogous experience of the ride …where life’s existential journey’s like a see saw, merry-go-round,
a rollercoaster or perhaps a slide.…
Production and Performance
Production Week – 1 night for each performance. Order To Be Advised.
- Playground 1 Tuesday 29 October 7:30 PM
- Playground 2 Wednesday 30 October 7:30 PM
- Playground 3 Thursday 31 October 7:30 PM
Performance 1 Friday 1 November Call time from 7:30 PM
Performance 2 Saturday 2 November Call time from 7:30 PM
Performance 3 Sunday 3 November Call time from 7:30 PM
To book your place in a workshop, visit THIS LINK
Styckx Theatre Playground would like to acknowledge the Traditional Owners on the land on which we a creating this work. The Wotjobaluk, Jaadwa, Jadawadjali, Wergaia and Jupagulk peoples and we pay our respects to their Elders past, present and emerging.
This project is dedicated to Simon Barley of Bambuco and designer of Styckx Theatre and Erik Pootjes – Y Space key collaborators and Styckx Theatre.
Styckx Theatre is presented and supported by:
Styckx Theatre Workshop programme is supported by Clack McClure through Australian Communities Foundation and Natimuk Primary School.
Thank you to our Styckx Bamboo donors through Australian Cultural Fund.
Thank you to Flynn Hogan – Bambuco Estate, Roy B Hoskins Engineering, Joe Toohey – Regional Arts Victoria, Kate Finnerty and Hannah French (Nati Frinj), Natimuk Primary School staff, students and community including Stacey and the mowing! Also Arapiles Mountain Shop, Southern Testing Laboratories, Margaret Kent and family and Charee Smith.